M-Audio BX10s Description:
BX10s - Professional Active Subwoofer
10" composite driver > full, tight bass response for accurate listening
240-watt internal amplifier > lots of power in a compact, convenient package
variable 50-200Hz crossover > compatible with any direct-field monitor system
subwoofer bypass function > audition how your mixes will sound without a subwoofer
video shielding > for use near CRTs
compact footprint > appropriate for studios with limited space
The BX10s active subwoofer is ideal for any monitoring environment requiring an accurate low-frequency response down to 20Hz. Comprising a 10" composite driver, 240-watt internal amplifier, and a variable 50 to 200Hz crossover, the BX10s delivers tight, clean bass in a compact chassis-perfect for project studios where space is often at a premium. The BX10s is suited perfectly for either two-channel stereo or multichannel surround monitoring environments and is designed to integrate with any powered direct-field studio monitors, including the M-Audio BX5a and BX8a active reference monitors. The BX10s even includes a subwoofer bypass function so you can judge how a mix will sound without a dedicated subwoofer-controllable via the included sustain pedal.
Serious Low-End to Your Studio
The BX10s active subwoofer delivers the kind of bass response necessary for today's music, film, and multimedia projects. Since car and home audio systems have evolved to include subwoofers that reproduce very low frequencies, it has become even more critical that the monitors in your audio production environment reflect these changes. When paired with either the M-Audio BX5a or BX8a active reference monitors, the BX10s becomes part of an integrated system that provides accurate monitoring for the entire 20Hz to 20kHz spectrum.
Active Crossover for Two-Channel Setups
The BX10s accepts the two-channel stereo outputs from your mixer, audio interface or sound card. Then your main monitors connect to the subwoofer's outputs. The internal crossover network of the BX10s splits the signal at a user-defined crossover frequency (50-200Hz), routing everything below it to the internal sub and everything above it to the main speakers. This significantly improves fidelity because the components aren't tripping over each other to reproduce the same frequency-and each only has to deliver frequencies to which it is ideally suited. The variable crossover makes it possible to tailor the bass response in your monitoring environment in order to achieve the most accurate acoustic response-and there are even easy settings for compliance with Dolby Digital®, DTS® and THX® specifications.
Don't Strain Your Speakers-Or Ears
Products like the BX5a and BX8a are designed to work well as full-range monitors. Yet when they reproduce bass-heavy material at high volumes, it can be both taxing on the speakers and fatiguing to the listener. However, when they're used in tandem with the BX10s, the system can comfortably reproduce full-range signals at any volume without stressing the components.
No More Guesswork
A good monitoring system is, by definition, one that allows you to create material that translates well across a variety of playback environments. As such, it's important to know what your mixes will sound like both with and without the low-frequency extension a subwoofer provides. Fortunately, the BX10s includes a subwoofer bypass function that completely removes the subwoofer amp, speaker, and crossover from the signal path-sending the full-bandwidth program to your direct-field monitors. By plugging the included M-Audio sustain pedal into the footswitch input on the back of the BX10s, you can control this function dynamically as you're playing back your material-even from across the room. With the BX10s temporally bypassed, it becomes easy to judge how a mix will sound in an environment without a dedicated subwoofer.
Plays Well With Others
While the BX10s is designed as a low-frequency complement to the BX5a or BX8a active reference monitors in a professional two-channel or multichannel system, it can integrate easily with any powered direct-field monitors. It's as simple as connecting the cables and adjusting the crossover control as needed.
M-Audio BX10s Features:
- 10" composite driver
- 240-watt amplifier
- rear bass-reflex port
- variable 50-200Hz crossover with easy settings for Dolby Digital®, DTS® and THX® compliance
- low frequency response down to 20Hz
- adjustable gain (-30dB to +6dB)
- balanced XLR and 1/4" TRS inputs and outputs
- subwoofer bypass function with 1/4" footswitch input
- auto on/off "sleep" function
- phase switch (0/180 degrees)
- video shielding for use near CRTs
- removable grill
- removable feet
M-Audio BX10s Specifications:
- Type: bass-reflex active powered subwoofer
- Woofer Driver: 10-inch composite (treated paper/fiberglass) cone with high-temperature voice coil and damped rubber surround
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 200Hz (-3dB points)
- Crossover: HP/LP linked filter sweepable from 50 - 200Hz; 24dB/octave 4th-order alignment
- Input Sensitivity: 85mV pink noise input produces 100dBA output SPL at one meter with volume control at maximum
- Amplifier: 240 watts average power into 8 Ohms, discrete transistor design
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 86dB (A-weighted)
- THD at Rated Power, Mono Mode: 0.019% (175 W)
- Inputs: two XLR balanced inputs; two TRS balanced/unbalanced inputs
- Outputs: two XLR balanced outputs for satellites; two TRS balanced/unbalanced outputs for satellites
- Controls: volume/gain control, 10dB bass boost switch, sleep mode switch, phase inverse switch, variable crossover control, subwoofer bypass footswitch jack
- Input Impedance: 20k ohms balanced, 10k ohms unbalanced
- Maximum Input Level: +20dBU
- Auto Turn Off Time: 15 minutes
- Auto Turn On Input Sensitivity: 7.3 mV
- Protection: over temperature, turn-on/off transient, subsonic filter, external mains fuse, DC protection, over current protection
- Indicator: power on (blue) or standby/bypass (red)
- Power Requirements: dual-voltage (selectable by rear-panel switch) for either 100-120V/~50/60Hz or 220-240V/~50/60Hz; powered via detachable grounded IEC cable
- Cabinet: vinyl-laminated MDF
- Dimensions: 15 in. (h) x 15 in. (w) x 15 in. (d); 38.1 cm (h) x 38.1 cm (w) x 38.1 cm (d)
- Shipping Weight: 54.6 lbs.; 24.75 kg
Get your M-Audio BX10s today!